Jackbox Games is looking for a Lead Marketing Artist to join our marketing team!
Who are We?
Jackbox is a small but growing game studio best known for our Jackbox Party Pack franchise: a set of five social party games released every fall. Since 2014, our games--like Quiplash, Drawful, and Trivia Murder Party-- have been featured on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, by Polygon, and in living rooms and finished basements across the world.
In 2020, we had over 200 million users. And we have hard evidence that one of those users was Academy Award-winner Charlize Theron.
You can learn everything you ever wanted to know about how our games work (spoiler: your phone is the controller!) and who we are and what we make at jackboxgames.com.
What’s the Job?
The Jackbox Games Marketing Team is bursting with opportunities and challenges as more people than ever are discovering our games! We have doubled in size in the past year and have big ambitions to improve awareness of our games globally.
We are looking for an experienced Lead Marketing Artist who can work hand-in-hand with our marketing team members to create visual assets and video content that inspires more people to play our games. This person will work closely with our team to improve engagement on our social media channels, improve click-through rates on our advertising, and develop commercials and trailers that show off existing and upcoming titles. We are looking for someone who can work with the game teams to develop an announcement trailer for their upcoming title (see an example of one here) but also help refresh our ad creative when it is getting stale (here’s one to check out).
The art in our games has inspired a community of fan artists and attachment to our characters. On the marketing team, we love to use this as inspiration for all visual assets we’re putting out into the wild, from an Instagram post for a PlayStation sale or the commercial we create to encourage people to play the new title around the holidays. This person will report to the VP of Marketing but also run creative concepts by the Chief Creative Officer for feedback.
- Develop and follow a calendar for refreshing creative assets used on our advertising channels
- Work with the game teams to bring scripts for the game announcement trailers to life from storyboard to animation to final video exports
- Be a leading voice in the creative concepting and storyboarding for commercials we create to promote our titles
- Develop templates for sale art that we can repurpose for each platform
- As needed, manage and provide feedback to any freelancers or contract artists that we bring on to support the team during busy times of the year
- Act as a gatekeeper and protector of our visual branding and develop visual branding guidelines for Jackbox that we can share with vendors, partners, and our PR agencies
- Make sure any advertising art or video we create has received approval from platform representatives
- Work with the Customer Service and Community Manager to develop concepts for merch
Ideal Candidates Will Have...
- At least 3 years of relevant experience. New grads need not apply.
- A strong ability to prioritize varied workloads with long and short-term deadlines
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative suite
- Experience with producing and editing video content (bonus: experience making trailers or commercial content)
- Strong illustration, graphic design, and motion graphic skills
- A great eye for color and composition
- The ability to take creative guidelines and character art from the games and mimic or replicate it in marketing content
- A team player mindset. Our marketing department intersects with almost every other department in our company and you will need to be able to work effectively both on your own and as part of a larger group.
- A roll-up-your-sleeves mentality. We have a very entrepreneurial, get-it-done culture that takes pride in our strong work ethic and low tolerance for micromanaging or posturing.
But It's Great If You Also…
- Have experience with creating static or video advertisements
- Have experience creating content for social media or marketing your artwork on your own channels
- Experience animating
- Web development skills to help make adjustments to our website pages
We only hire clever, kind, motivated and creative people. Jackbox Games is a group effort and you must work collaboratively. Everyone here shares a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere.
Jackbox Games is committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, or disability.
OKAY, BUT WHAT ARE THE PERKS?!
- Competitive pay and benefits. 401(k) with matching. And we pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees. We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/partner/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance. Paid parental leave.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, or whatever (at least when we’re back to working in the office. We are all remote at the moment).
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of talented and innovative folks. Most of the day, the place is pretty quiet (we’re a focused bunch), but this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment.
- Easy transportation. We’re very close to the “L” and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods if that’s your kind of thing), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses.
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with snacks.
HOW TO APPLY
- Submit your portfolio/reel
- Submit a cover letter that highlights three reasons you think you’d be a great member of our marketing team, focusing on how your past work experience has prepared you for this kind of position as well as links to any video or static content that exists online that you’ve had a hand in. We weigh cover letters heavily.
We know it is a time commitment to prepare an application and we respect that effort by thoughtfully reviewing every complete application and responding one way or the other. But that kind of thoughtful review means that it sometimes takes us a while to get back to applicants, so please be patient with us and no phone calls.
Thanks for your interest in Jackbox Games!
- I'm not sure if I'm qualified. Should I apply?
We would much rather read your application than miss out on a great candidate, so please err on the side of applying. If you are passionate about games and are a Content Marketing Specialist, give it a shot! Worse thing that happens is you don't get the job, but we promise you're not wasting our time.
- What if I’m too qualified and have extensive work experience?
You should still apply. We are looking for the best candidates and we will adjust responsibilities (and compensation) to match your experience.
- Do I need to be legally eligible to work in the United States to apply for this position?