Jackbox Games is best known for its rapidly expanding catalog of critically acclaimed party games including Quiplash, Drawful, Fibbage, The Jackbox Party Pack, The Jackbox Party Pack 2, The Jackbox Party Pack 3, and the recently released (and unsurprisingly named) The Jackbox Party Pack 4. As Jackbox Games moves into the last 82% of this century, we hope to build on our successful business by pushing the boundaries of party games with new technology, new game concepts, and new forms of interactivity. We also hope the sandwich shop doesn’t put those weird peppers on our sandwich next time.
We make party games where players interact with a game being displayed on a big screen using their phones or tablets as controllers. While our games are often played at home in small groups of 2-8 people, we also support large-scale games at events or via Twitch streaming where thousands of users can connect and interact.
We’re a small group (around 25 people) of very talented, funny, supportive and creative individuals looking for a Marketing Manager to join our Chicago-based team.
Check out our website for more info about who we are and what we make. www.jackboxgames.com
That's lovely... but what's the job?
We are in the fortunate position of having a portfolio of games that are easily accessible, and that new players almost always enjoy. In other words, when people play our games, they like them! However, we believe there is a whole world of people out there who have never heard of Jackbox Games or played our games and we’d like you to help us reach them.
We are looking for a Marketing Manager to help Jackbox Games find exciting and innovative ways to promote our games. We need you to help us:
- Communicate what we do, how we do it, and why our games are awesome.
- Conceive or identify creative ways to market our party games and work with the rest of the team to make those plans a reality.
- Cultivate strong relationships in and outside of the industry that will help us do all of the above.
- Lead efforts to capture data from our games and marketplaces, and analyze that data to help us improve our products moving forward.
- Track, analyze and improve the reach and performance of our marketing efforts.
- Provide reports that distill the tons of data we collect into information that is meaningful, and communicate results at regular intervals.
More specifically, you will:
Coordinate our strategy, positioning, and branding to be as effective as possible.
- Create a marketing plan that understands and segments our prospective buyers’ market sizes, attitudes, behavior, and potential profitability.
- Own our website.
- Effectively pitch and place stories, design PR campaigns, and represent the “voice” of Jackbox through active PR programs and participation -- or know how to manage a great vendor to do it for us.
- Manage our social media and customer relations.
- Employ such tactics as email, blogging, social media campaigns, co-marketing, and PR to raise awareness.
- Manage the marketing budget like a company P&L, with a clear projection and measurement of ROI for each effort to maximize customer value, while keeping costs of acquisition as low as possible.
- Oversee comprehensive business reviews that analyze the company/brand strengths and weaknesses and category/competitive/consumer opportunities and threats.
Jackbox Games' Marketing Manager must:
- Have at least a few years of relevant experience. We’re not looking for a CMO, but new grads and junior marketing folks need not apply.
- Have demonstrated success in creating and executing detailed marketing plans. Experience with successful social media campaigns – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram promotions and viral marketing programs is a plus.
- Be able to write and talk well. We’re not just looking for clarity; we’re seeking a refreshingly conversational and sometimes humorous tone.
- Have strong business acumen and be a strategic and creative thinker.
- Possess great people skills. (Not “you can handle angry people,” but rather “you enjoy building relationships”). You’ll need to interact with business partners, consumers, and media outlets in a way that projects Jackbox’s sense of fun, ingenuity and competence.
- Be a roll-up-your-sleeves kind of person. We have a very entrepreneurial, get-it-done culture that takes pride in our strong work ethic and low tolerance for micromanaging or posturing.
- Be a student of internet marketing and emerging media. This position is computer-intensive. It’s more than just being comfy with Excel and databases. Our business lives online, so you’ll need to be familiar with the Web, mainstream email services providers, modern retargeting campaigns, and Ecommerce and their functionality as well.
- Have basic graphic design skills - any eye for design and ideally some Photoshop skills
- Be professional, responsible, dedicated, friendly, flexible, patient, respectful, and enthusiastic.
- Have the ability to work independently but be able to play well with others. You’ll work closely with the members of the creative, engineering, and production staff or as part of a team, depending on the nature of the work you are doing.
...and it would be nice if you also had:
- Experience marketing direct-to-consumer products
- Experience building out a website and integrating and utilizing CRM software
- Experience in the games industry
- Great party game ideas
Yes. We only hire kind, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. Jackbox Games is a group effort and you must work collaboratively with creative, technical, and sales types. Everyone here shares a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere.
Jackbox Games is committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, or disability.
Are there any perks?
- Competitive pay and benefits. Including:
- 401(k) with matching.
- 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees. We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/partner/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Paid parental leave
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of kind, intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although most hours the place is deathly quiet (we’re a focused bunch), this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment, which makes a nice way to spend the day.
- Easy transportation. We’re very close to the “L” and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods if that’s your kind of thing), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses.
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with free snack foods.
Great! To apply submit an application through our hiring portal (which may be this page you’re on right now, but if not, you can find it at: https://jackbox-games.breezy.hr/)
Make sure your application includes:
- A cover letter that highlights three reasons you think you’d be great member of our team, focusing on how your past work experience has prepared you for this kind of position. We weigh cover letters heavily. Include a list of products or games you have worked on and your role in their success. Please feel free to write in your own voice – most cover letters are standard and boring, and that just isn’t us.
- Your resume. It should be… a resume.
If you decide to apply, please know that every complete application will be carefully reviewed. Seriously! We know it is a time commitment to prepare an application. And we respect that effort by thoughtfully reviewing every complete application and responding one way or the other. But that kind of thoughtful review means that it sometimes takes us a while to get back to applicants, so please no phone calls. The time we spend responding to phone calls and emails inquiring about where we are in the process is time that we could be spending moving the process along – so please be patient with us!
Thanks for your interest in Jackbox Games!