Jackbox Games is looking for an Engineering Manager to join our team in Chicago! (Though currently, we are all working from home.)
Who Are We?
Jackbox is a medium-sized game studio (~60 people) best known for the Jackbox Party Pack franchise: a set of five social party games released every fall. Since 2014, our games--like Quiplash, Drawful, and Trivia Murder Party-- have been featured on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, by Polygon, and in living rooms and finished basements across the world.
In 2020, we had over 200 million users. And we have hard evidence that one of those users was Academy Award-winner Charlize Theron.
You can learn everything you ever wanted to know about how our games work (spoiler: your phone is the controller!) and who we are and what we make at jackboxgames.com.
What’s the Job?
The infrastructure engineering team is responsible for all of the web applications, server applications, and internal tools at Jackbox Games -- including the jackbox.tv website, and the ecast game server.
As engineering manager, you will be responsible for the success of the team, including its people, processes, products, and technology.
This is our first full-time engineering manager position, which makes it somewhat unique. We are looking for someone who can work with current engineering leadership to help define and develop an engineering management culture at Jackbox Games.
- Guide the professional development of team members through 1:1s, performance feedback, and personal growth.
- Manage team growth through hiring, internal development, and team structure, which may include reorganizing teams to most efficiently deliver high quality products.
- Ensure we are cultivating a culture that embodies our values of shared responsibility and shared success.
- Own the team’s roadmap and technical strategy, working with other leads and stakeholders to align goals.
- Help run development planning meetings, making decisions about priorities and product goals
- Identify and gather metrics that measure success and inform your decisions.
- Work with technical leadership to capture requirements, document designs, gather feedback, and gut check proposals.
- Inspire and encourage experimentation and big ideas while balancing the need to deliver products and new features.
- Have led an engineering team and participated in developing processes and organizational strategies to improve how those teams function.
- Understand and embody servant-leadership, seeking diverse perspectives from the team and encouraging bottom-up innovation.
- Know how to build consensus and get buy-in from stakeholders, while still advocating for a clear vision.
- See the big picture when it comes to Jackbox Games’ strategies and can align team goals with corporate values and endeavors.
We only hire clever, kind, motivated and creative people. Jackbox Games is a group effort and you must work collaboratively. Everyone here shares a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere.
Jackbox Games is committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, or disability.
Are there any perks?
- Competitive pay and benefits. 401(k) with matching. And we pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees. We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/partner/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance. Paid parental leave.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, or whatever (at least when we’re back to working in the office. We are all remote at the moment).
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of talented and innovative folks. Most of the day, the place is pretty quiet (we’re a focused bunch), but this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment.
- Easy transportation. We’re very close to the “L” and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods if that’s your kind of thing), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses.
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with snacks.
How to Apply
We look forward to reading your application. Make sure you include:
- Your resume.
- A cover letter.
We know it is a time commitment to prepare an application and we respect that effort by thoughtfully reviewing every complete application and responding one way or the other. But that kind of thoughtful review means that it sometimes takes us a while to get back to applicants, so please be patient with us and no phone calls.
- I'm not sure if I'm qualified. Should I apply?
We would much rather read your application than miss out on a great candidate, so please err on the side of applying.
- Do I need to live in or relocate to the Chicago area for this position?
Short answer: yes. Long answer: We are all working remotely due to COVID-19 at the moment, so there’s not a rush, but the expectation is that eventually you will work out of our Chicago office.
- Do I need to be eligible to work in the United States for this position?
Thanks for your interest in Jackbox Games!