Jackbox Games Audio Lead
Jackbox Games is looking for an Audio Lead to join our team in Chicago! (Though currently, we are all working from home.)
Who Are We?
Jackbox is a small game studio (~45 people) best known for our Jackbox Party Pack franchise: a set of five social party games released every fall. Since 2014, our games--like Quiplash, Drawful, and Trivia Murder Party-- have been featured on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, by Polygon, and in living rooms and finished basements across the world.
In 2020, we had over 200 million users. And we have hard evidence that one of those users was Academy Award-winner Charlize Theron.
You can learn everything you ever wanted to know about how our games work (spoiler: your phone is the controller!) and who we are and what we make at jackboxgames.com.
What’s the Job?
Audio Leads work closely with art, design and engineering leads on individual games to create and implement music and sound effects that support the gameplay and help create rich and fully interactive experiences for the player. The Jackbox Games Audio Department is looking for an Audio Lead who not only has experience working with game music and audio, but also has a passion for sound and how it can be used to make a good game spectacular.
- Work with the game’s design team to conceive an overall sonic style for your game
- Compose music and create sound effects that support gameplay and enhance the user experience
- Participate in all aspects of sound design, production and mixing
- Author sounds in FMOD
- Oversee the dialog recording/editing/authoring process
- Play-test games to evaluate the status of in-game audio
- Own all aspects of the game’s audio
Ideal Candidates Will Have..
- Familiarity w/ popular DAWs, Sound Forge, FMOD, Vegas Pro, or comparable software
- Knowledge of the sound recording/mixing process
- 5.1 mixing knowledge
- Voice acting/direction experience
- Knowledge of software development tools (JIRA, Perforce)
- Familiarity with many musical styles as a musician and composer
What Characteristics should a Jackbox Audio Lead have?
- Team player
- Good communicator
- Excellent ear
- Fast and efficient
- Ability to multitask
We only hire clever, kind, motivated and creative people. Jackbox Games is a group effort and you must work collaboratively. Everyone here shares a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere.
Jackbox Games is committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, or disability.
Okay, But What Are the Perks?
- Competitive pay and benefits. 401(k) with matching. And we pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees. We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/partner/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance. Paid parental leave.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, or whatever (at least when we’re back to working in the office. We are all remote at the moment).
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of talented and innovative folks. Most of the day, the place is pretty quiet (we’re a focused bunch), but this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment.
- Easy transportation. We’re very close to the “L” and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods if that’s your kind of thing), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses.
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with snacks.
HOW TO APPLY
We look forward to reading your application. Make sure it includes:
- A cover letter that highlights three reasons you’d be great for the gig, focusing on how your past work experience has prepared you for this kind of position. We weigh cover letters heavily. Please write in your own voice: Most cover letters are standard and boring, and that just isn’t us.
- Your resume. Include a list of projects you’ve worked on and your role in their development.
- A link to your audio/video portfolio. (If you worked with others on a project, please make sure to explain your specific contribution.)
We know it is a time commitment to prepare an application and we respect that effort by thoughtfully reviewing every complete application and responding one way or the other. But that kind of thoughtful review means that it sometimes takes us a while to get back to applicants, so please be patient with us and no phone calls.
Thanks for your interest in Jackbox Games!
- I'm not sure if I'm qualified. Should I apply?
We would much rather read your application than miss out on a great candidate, so please err on the side of applying. If you are passionate about games, give it a shot! Worse thing that happens is you don't get the job, but we promise you're not wasting our time.
- Do I need to live in or relocate to the Chicago area for this position?
Short answer: yes. Long answer: We are all working remotely due to COVID-19 at the moment, so there’s not a rush, but the expectation is that eventually you will work out of our Chicago office.
- Do I need to be legally eligible to work in the United States to apply for this position?